Endemic Mauritius Nature Tour
|Operating Days||All Days|
|Activity Time||09:00 - 17:00|
|Transportation||Included in price|
|Comment||On Sunday Ile aux Aigrettes closes at 12:00|
Contact Us+230 269 1000 Send Message
Endemic Mauritius Nature Tour - Overview
This is a full day activity for nature lovers who love learning new things.
Experience the breathtaking scenery, rugged mountains, and beautiful fauna and flora of Mauritius. Discover the marvels of nature and how they are being preserved.
From Ile aux Aigrettes to Ebony Forest, you will discover a large variety of endemic plants and animal species whilst learning more about the history of the island. A day out reconnecting with nature while learning about the tropical ecosystem and how it can sustain itself with some help from us is what awaits you. This tour is the ideal day for anyone who would love to spend time surrounded by the marvels of mother nature.
As part of this tour, you will enjoy:
- A day out (8 hours) to discover the endemic nature of Mauritius
- Visit to the natural reserves of Mauritius
- Discover native plants and animal species endemic to Mauritius
- Boat trip and tour of the islet reserve, Ile Aux Aigrettes
- Explore the best preserved forest of the island
- Pick up and drop off in a Private Car with driver
Endemic Mauritius Nature Tour - inclusions:
- Full day touring of sites with endemic species
- Boat ride in the lagoon to & from Ile Aux Aigrettes
- Visit of the Ile aux Aigrettes island
- Visit to the Ebony Forest plus a 4x4 jeep trip through the forest
- Transportation to all the sites
- Pick up and drop off from any hotel / place of accommodation anywhere in Mauritius
Transport is included in this package and includes pick up and drop off from any hotel / place of accommodation anywhere in Mauritius
You can choose from a selection of vehicles types:
All drivers speak fluent English and French (Upon special request we can organize drivers who speak additional languages).
All drivers are very professional, time efficient and friendly. There is high emphasis on being always on time and providing reliable devoted service to customers.
Your Hotel / Place of accommodation anywhere in Mauritius
|Duration:||The duration of the Endemic Mauritius tour is 8 hours|
|Departure time:||09:00 from your hotel / place of accommodation|
|Return time:||17:00 back to your hotel / place of accommodation|
- Pick Up at 09.00 A.M. from place of accommodation
- Road trip and sightseeing from vehicle on the way to Ile Aux Aigrettes
- Departure by boat from the shore to head to Ile Aux Aigrettes
- Arrival and introduction to Ebony Forest + Museum Visit
- Jeep Trip through Ebony forest - Hop on hop off at points of interest
- Drop off at 05.00 P.M. at your place of accommodation
Endemic Mauritius Nature Tour - About the Sites
Ile aux Aigrettes
Ile aux Aigrettes, an island turned into a nature reserve in 1965. It invites all nature lovers to discover what the ecosystem was like before the arrival of man. This green haven is filled with unique endemic species waiting to be discovered. While exploring the island, you will come across native species such as the pink pigeon, the Mauritius Fody, the Mauritius Olive white-eye, the beautifully coloured day gecko, the Telfair’s Skink and Aldabra giant tortoises. If you are lucky, you might even spot Big Daddy, a 100-year old tortoise who fathered most of the young tortoises on the island.
The Mauritian Wildlife Foundation (MWF), a local NGO, dedicated to the conservation of rare species, has put tremendous efforts in this 26-hectare coral island, to restore the place to its original state by replanting the endemic forest and reinstating endemic species. Your guided visit of the nature reserve will allow you to learn more about the flora and fauna of the island.
Embark on a nature lovers’ trip at the Ebony Forest with a jeep ride. Before you hop on the jeep to begin your nature discovery in the wild, visit the museum and gain some insight on the fauna and flora of the forest and learn more about the wildlife of the island by watching a short educational film. The reserve’s museum will take you on a journey to over 8 million years ago. Discover the unique animals and plants that once lived here and the destructive impact that humans have had in the last 400 years.
You will then be cruising through the forest with stops at places of interest to take pictures and walk around to look for endemic birds and plants.
While making your way through the forest, you will get to admire the native fauna of Mauritius, such as fruit bats, swiftlets and tropicbirds soaring high along the mountains’ ridgeline. The two mid-canopy walkways through the Ebony Forest will give you the surreal sensation of floating through one of the best-preserved forests on the island. If you are a keen bird watcher, you will be able to spot the endemic birds that the Ebony Forest hosts, such as the Mauritius Paradise Flycatcher, Mauritian Black Bulbul and grey-white eyes.
The Flycatcher raised walkway leads to the Sublime Point for an incredible view of the scenery. The Sublime Point offers a breathtaking view of Le Morne Brabant and the surrounding bays where you can also see a lot of tropical birds, including the white-tailed tropicbird.
Visit the native plant nursery, situated at the Visitor Centre, which is the only nursery in Mauritius dedicated to propagating only native and endemic species. It specialises in growing species from coastal to upland areas, including rare and threatened species.
- Note: Ile aux Aigrettes is not an islet where clients can swim/picnic; you need to be properly dressed with closed shoes for the guided tour.
- Please be informed that the road at Macondé will be closed for rock purging work from 08.00 to 15.30 on working days, until July 2023. Accordingly, a traffic diversion scheme has been set up. The road will be opened to traffic normally outside the working hours, during weekends and public holidays.
The Transportation prices are Per Vehicle (and not per person). You can choose the vehicle type according to the number of passengers in your group.
|Private Daily Tour in a family Car (for up to 4 people)||85 Euro|
|Private Daily Tour in a 6 Seater vehicle (for up to 6 people)||95 Euro|
|Private Daily Tour in a Minivan (up to 12 people)||115 Euro|
Endemic Mauritius Nature Tour Prices:
|Price per Adult||49 Euro|
|Price per Child (4-11)||29 Euro|
Total Tour Price Per Person including Private Transportation and Entry Tickets to all the sights:
|No. of Participants||Total Price||Price per Person|
|2 Adults||175 Euro||88 Euro|
|4 Adults||265 Euro||66 Euro|
|6 Adults||365 Euro||61 Euro|
|12 Adults||703 Euro||59 Euro|
|2 Adults + 2 Children||225 Euro||56 Euro|