Eureka House (Maison Eureka)
|Operating Hours||09:00 - 17:00|
|Operating Days||All Days|
|Transportation||Offered as Supplement|
|Comment||Opening Hours on Sundays & Public holidays: 09:00 to 15:00|
Discover Eureka House (Maison Eureka)
Enjoy the guided tour of this magnificent authentic colonial house with its lush gardens and cascading river as breathtaking background.
As part of the visit and tour of the Eureka House you will enjoy
- Tour of the Eureka house (Maison Eureka)
- A stroll in the Eureka gardens
- Traditional Mauritian lunch at the Eureka House Restaurant (optional)
Eureka House is a unique Creole house built in 1830 located by the river of Moka. It is an elegant Créole residence originally owned by British and French aristocrats in the 19th century. It is reputed to be one of the largest houses on the island, with 109 doors and windows.
The visit of the Eureka Mansion and its grounds provides an intriguing glimpse into colonial life. The house is filled with antiques and photos of the period. It also has a magnificent garden surrounded by waterfalls of the Moka River.
The Eureka house was restored and opened to the public as a museum in 1986. The house is constructed largely of wood and surrounded by a long, shady veranda. The extensive grounds consist of a curious mix of natural Mauritian plant life, including mango trees and palms, a waterfall and an English-style garden.
The museum has areas which are dedicated to music, art, antique maps, Chinese and Indian house wares and quirky contraptions like a colonial-era shower. You will have a tour of the house and its beautiful gardens.
The waterfalls and the river banks
The Eureka house is much more than a house and museum, the property has grown into an attraction for both young and old nature lovers offering kilometers of tracks dedicated to footing.
There are many small waterfalls, endemic plants, lush greenery which surrounds the house and rare specimens. The visitor enters a world of peace and calm.
Nowadays one can find at the Euréka grounds different palm trees, mango trees, and a gigantic damaras (agathis robusta) which is one of the most spectacular in Mauritius.
During the guided visit of the gardens, you will come across 4 wonderful small waterfalls. The river banks are the natural habitats for water lilies, 'jacinte d'eau', 'bredes songes'.
Under the water surface an intense marine life goes on for the 'scampi, madame Céré' (name derived from the wife of the governor Céré), tilapias, carp and eels which can be found in large quantities.
Strolling deeper into the garden, one can find the azaleas and the camellias as well as the endemic ochna from South Africa.
The Euréka House also hosts some rare endemic plants: Bois pipe, Bois colophane Bâtard, Bois en poudre, Makak, Manglier vert, Bois de Rivière, Bois puant, Bois de Clou, Bois de Pomme, Bois de Fer, Liane à gratter, Mapou. Some of the indigenous plants found are: ougères Adiantum Hispidulum, Bois mozambique, Bois sureau, Bois de Chandelle, Bois Bouquet Banané, Bois de Merle, Bois à trois feuilles, Bois chenille, Ebenier, Tatamaka.
In addition to the visit of the Eureka House, you can also enjoy visiting
- Souvenir Shop: an excellent opportunity to buy Mauritian gifts for your friends and families such as Mauritian tea, scented candles, spices, exotic jewellery, jams, books or scarf.
- The Old Kitchen: you will have the opportunity to taste the traditional delicious Mauritian cuisine prepared in the old ways...
As part of the visit of the Eureka House, we offer you to enjoy a delicious lunch and a unique dining experience at the Eureka House restaurant specializes in the traditional Mauritian cuisine.
The Lunch menu consists of
- Smoked marlin with salad
- Dry beef curry served with Pumpkin fricassee, Peanuts rougaille, Coconut Chutney, Rice, Lentils and Pickles
- Vanilla ice cream with grilled coconut
- Visit of Eureka House - Adults : 8 Euros
- Visit of Eureka House - Children (0-12): Free
- Visit + Lunch - Adults: 32 Euros
- Visit + Lunch - Children (3-12): 15 Euros
- Drinks Package - Option 1: 16 Euros /Person
- Drinks Package - Option 2: 8 Euros /Person