Mauritius Complete Tea Route Tour
|Operating Days||Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday|
|Activity Time||09:30 - 16:00|
|Transportation||Offered as Supplement|
|Comment||As this is a private trip, we can customize the tour route and times as per your preferences|
Discover traditional Mauritius by following the Mauritius Tea Route.
Awaken your five senses as you discover the making of teas, rum, vanilla, essential oils - and as you stroll down the exotic gardens of the Bois Cheri tea plantation.
A guide will walk you around during your visit and will guide you on the history, stories and tales of all the sites. It is a trip that will take you back in time to the first days of Mauritius with its rich colonial history and you will get a chance to learn on the importance of tea productions in Mauritius.
You will visit the “Domaine des Aubineaux” and its gardens. Domaine des Aubineaux is a colonial house built in 1872, which has been converted into a museum dedicated to the history of Mauritian Tea.
You will discover, amongst others, furniture dating back to the 17th century, and a great collection of photos of colonial houses which have been demolished. Also, you will find several displays explaining the important role that the tea industry played throughout time.
After the visit to the house, you will continue the tour and will visit its gardens - Camphor tree garden. While strolling in the Camphor tree garden, take a look at the diversity of exotic plants as well as trees of the endemic forest, and enjoy the beautiful sight of the tea plantation and of the breathtaking nature all around.
The tour will continue with a visit to Bois Chéri which is the second stop in the Mauritian Tea Route tour. The Bois Chéri is the first and biggest tea producer in Mauritius, operating since 1892.
After a guided tour of the factory, you will discover the history of tea while visiting the tea production museum.
Nowadays Bois Chéri produces a new range of flavored teas, green teas and herbal teas. You may taste them during your visit, while enjoying a great panoramic view of the beautiful south of the island.
You will then continue you tour to the third stop of the Tea Route - the Saint Aubin house. Built in 1819, It has been home to several managers of the sugar estate, before being renovated in the 90's to preserve a part of the Mauritian heritage. Today one may still see the beams and ship poles used in its original construction.
You will also discover the interesting transformation process of the vanilla orchid: from the flower to the aromatic pod.
The Mauritius Tea Route tour includes:
- A guide to walk you through the Domaine des Aubineaux
- Visit of a colonial mansion-museum built in 1872
- Photo exhibition of the 19th and 20th Century
- Stroll across the garden Le Parc Floral des Aubineaux
- Visit of La Maison des Essences
- Tour across the gardens of the Domaine des Aubineaux
- A guided tour of the Bois Cheri tea factory
- Visit of the tea museum
- Visit to the tea plantation
- A tea tasting session at the chalet (tea & biscuits)
- A guided tour of the Saint Aubin house
- Visit of the “Rum” House and Tasting
- Guided tour of the Sugar Factory and Le Moulin du Domaine de Saint Aubin
- Visit of the Vanilla House
- Visit of the Anthurium (flowers) la greenhouses
- Visit of the tropical garden and spice garden at Domaine de Saint Aubin
The full tour takes 5-7 hours.
You will end your tour with a special 5 course typical Mauritian lunch at the highly recommended restaurant of “Le Saint Aubin”.
The meal consists of:
- Starter: Palm heart salad with smoked marlin & Bread basket
- Main Course: Chicken in vanilla with Rice and Chutneys
- Side Dishes: Sautéed vegetables, Lentil soup, Mixed chutneys and pickles, Plain rice
- Dessert: Caramelized banana in toffee sauce
- ½ bottle of water
Included in the price of this day trip are:
- All entry fees
- Lunch meal
- Full transportation to the sight, including pick up and drop off from any hotel / place of accommodation anywhere in Mauritius (optional)
Additional information regarding the Complete Tea Route Tour
Bois Cheri - Opening Hours
Monday to Sunday (including public holidays) from 9:00 to 17:00
Bois Cheri - Tea Factory
- Note: The tea factory is open from Monday to Saturday. (Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.)
- Monday - 08:30 to 12:30 (The factory will temporarily not operate on Mondays until further notice.)
- Tuesday to Saturdays - 09:00 to 10:30/11:00
- The Tea Factory operates in the morning. All guides and clients have access to the first floor of the factory only.
You can choose from a selection of vehicles types:
- Family Car - Up to 4 passengers
- 6 Seater vehicle - Up to 6 passengers
- Minivan - Up to 10 passengers
About the drivers
- All drivers speak fluent English and French (Upon special request we can organize driver who speaks additional languages). On the way, the drivers, citizens of Mauritius, will be happy to provide you with information about Mauritius.
- All drivers are very professional, time efficient and friendly. There is high emphasis on being always on time and providing reliable devoted service to customers.
- The Bois Cheri factory is operational on Wednesdays only
- The Tea Factory works in the mornings usually until 11:45 AM and all guides and clients have access to the first floor of the factory only
- Note: The tea factory at Domaine de Bois Cheri is operational eeryday except during sundays and public holiday
Prices for the Complete Tea Route tour (with Lunch):
- Price per Adult:59 Euro
- Price per Child (ages 5-12):32 Euro
- Price per Baby (ages 0-4): Free of charge
- Private Daily Tour in a family Car (for up to 4 people): 79 Euro
- Private Daily Tour in a 6 Seater vehicle (for up to 6 people): 89 Euro
- Private Daily Tour in a Minivan (up to 10 people): 115 Euro
Your online chat help is fantastic. The tours were exactly as expected and thoroughly enjoyable. The transport was faultless, our drivers were polite, informative and on time. Will recommend you to our friends. Thank you for a wonderful time.