Visit To The Sugar Museum And Factory
|Operating Hours||09:00 - 17:00|
|Operating Days||All Days|
|Duration||1 hrs 30 mins|
|Transportation||Offered as Supplement|
Visit to the Sugar Museum and Factory - follow the trail of the Sugar in Mauritius and visit the sugar museum.
Once lusted after as much as gold, sugar has enjoyed an extraordinary existence, leaving a profound impression on the history and identity of Mauritius.
Rising above the sea of green sugar cane fields, like a great ship at anchor, the old Beau Plan sugar mill with its long history is a true history-maker and teller.
By following the trail of the Sugar Adventure with over 250 years of history, you can trace the history of the whole country.
The tour of the old sugar mill, which has been transformed into a modern museum, lasts about 1:30 hours, at the end of tour, delightful sugar and rum tastings await the visitor.
The adventure starts behind the facade of the factory building, with tales woven around the life story of sugar, which for long period of time has been the main product of Mauritius.
You will then visit the enormous factory, its decade-old machines decked with a thousand lights. A sugarcane hedge leads the way to the fully restored and converted sugar factory where films evoking the early years of Mauritius appear on giant screens.
The factory was used until the 1970s to transport sacks of sugar in the port. Today you can see how the docks used to be in those times and discover their importance to Mauritius.
The Sugar Adventure is suitable for all ages and it has been conceived to be of interest for both international visitors, as well as for the locals.
In order for the children to understand the story of the sugar , The Sugar Adventure has chosen two “mascots” to tell children of the extraordinary story of sugar: two animals typical of the island, the mynah bird (martin) and the mongoose. These two mascots will guide the children all along the visit, offering entertaining questions and answers to be found under envelopes placed in various places in the museum and in the factory.
In addition to the visit to the museum, you can also enjoy visiting
- The Village Boutik - an opportunity to buy special sugars and the Mauritian rum, as well as gifts and souvenirs made by local craftsman.
- Restaurant Le Fangourin - Set amidst the garden of Beau Plan, Le Fangourin presents an exceptional and rare setting: a centuries-old vegetation, a pool surrounded by a tropical luxuriant flora, a veranda overlooking the central plateau range of mountains…here you can relish the perfect subtle cuisine.
- Open every day from 9am-5pm, 7 days a week
- Except on December 24th, 25tth, 26th, 31st, and on January 1st and 2nd.
- Price per Adult: 10 Euro
- Price per Child (ages 6-13): 6 Euro
- Price per Child (ages 0-5): Free of charge
Customers who bought this activity also purchased